Thursday, 5 September 2013

Intuitive Assessment of part of an eMM Process

 Investigating the delivery dimension of the E-Learning Maturity Model.

The organisation:
For this intuitive analysis, I have selected a course from a tertiary institution where I have been a student. This course was offered with both an on campus and a distance option. I am analysing the distance option. Some of the practices listed in the model referred to the programme and not to an individual course, therefore it was a sometimes little difficult to rate the course as a single exemplar for the programme. In those instances I rated the course alone.

Intuitive Assessment Results for the Learning Process: (Codes - FA = Fully Adequate, LA = Largely Adequate, PA = Partially Adequate, NA = Not Adequate).

Course documentation includes a clear statement of learning objectives.
FA

Learning objectives are linked explicitly throughout learning and assessment activities using consistent language.
LA

Learning objectives are linked explicitly to wider programme or institutional objectives.
PA

Learning objectives support student outcomes beyond the recall of information.
LA

Course workload expectations and assessment tasks are consistent with course learning objectives.
PA

Courses provide a variety of mechanisms for interaction between staff and students.
FA

 Students are provided with teaching staff email addresses.
FA

 Students are provided with technical support for all of the communication channels in use.
PA

 Students are provided with explicit descriptions of the relationships between course components and activities.
LA

Courses include opportunities for students to practice with e-learning technologies and pedagogies.
PA

 Students are provided with e-learning skills support through a variety of communication channels.
PA

Course activities provide students with opportunities for substantive feedback on their e-learning skills.

PA


Value Judgement of my Reliability:
The analysis is based on my subjective memory of a course, it is not offered this semester and I have deliberately not gone back to check details since this exercise is to be intuitive only. It is based purely on my participation as a student and not as part of any team putting together or delivering the course. I have no access to student evaluations or reflections from the examiners or course designers, so I am not a reliable analyser in making this evaluation against the benchmark. However, my accuracy could still be reasonably high, just not based on sound principles.

Disclaimer:
Note that the above assessment is based only on my own memories and perceptions and has no evidential basis. It is compiled as part of formal coursework and is not to be used as valid assessment of any real course.

Music listened to while preparing this blog post: Songs from Peter Skellern's albums Sentimentally Yours and Right From the Start. And because I've finished this post and got curious I looked him up on YouTube and there are lots of recordings put up (not sure of the copyright implications of these) But here is a link to a YouTube link of Peter Skellern performing live - Still Magic. Then I discovered that he sang the theme song for Me and My Girl, a TV series I remember watching back in the 1980s. So now I am going to watch an episode and try to remember what I ever saw in it :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lyndsay

    Thanks for introducing me to some new music - easy listening. Not really my cup of tea but if my 15 year-old can get excited by Neil Diamond (as he announced last week), anything's possible!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lyndsay

    Thanks for the work you've done here. It's provided me with the guideline I needed after a week off studying. I like the clear structure.

    I remember 'Me and My Girl'. I think it starred The guy from Man About the House.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete