Tuesday, 13 August 2013

Reflections on MOOCing and Scenario Planning

As I believe I mentioned earlier in this course, reflection is not a natural pass time for me, and I am quite happy moving on to the next task. However, I believe I have found a use for reflection after all - it is a (semi) legitimate way to procrastinate.
I am on study leave today to work on this course, but fully intending to work on the assignment due on Friday. (and yes, I know it isn't due on Friday anymore, and probably that is part of the problem and why I feel free to procrastinate!). I have been working for an hour or so this morning on my abstract and the bibliography, and really should write some meaty part of the essay - just cannot quite go there right this minute.
So, instead, here are my thoughts on the past two weeks.
  1. I like scenario planning. It appeals to my sense that the future is not fixed, and that many factors work together to take us forward. I appreciate the way it can be used alongside other types of planning (strategic and operational) to widen the scope of what is considered.
  2. I have appreciated reading/hearing the thoughts of so many very intelligent people who grasp the big picture more quickly than I do. The speakers that Wayne and Niki put in front of us via video, the readings that we were given and sought out for ourselves, and just as significant, our own classmates on the SP4Ed.
  3.  It was great to be part of a different way of studying. Having 24/7 action, extra classmates and different study structures was healthy and using different types of technology to aid the process was exciting. As point two shows, this way of working appeals because it relates to a number of different learning styles. Audio stuff works well for me, and it was good to have that there.
  4. Using twitter in an active manner, to share my own thoughts was more powerful than I expected. I have done that for conferences in the past few years, but normally I just read the mighty thoughts of the wise people that I follow. Nice to think that something I say might be useful to others too.
  5. It was great that the scenario planning was such a core part of the wider course itself. To start with, I wasn't sure that it was properly related, but it became quite clear that changes with digital technology in education have both drivers and uncertainties that scenario planning can bring together.
There are a few concerns still lurking around in my mind.
All these views and aspects were a lot to take in, and 2 weeks is a very compressed time period. I can see that I could not sustain that level of activity for very much longer, and probably if I did another MOOC, I would be looking for something of a month or less in duration. What with work and etc. as well, I was tired at the end and slowed down - hard to imagine that those classmates with children were coping!
Also, is two weeks long enough to embed these practices in our own processes and situations? Because I had done a wee bit of it before, back in the 1990s, I think that was an advantage i.e. the whole context was not unfamiliar, but not sure that I have worked through enough of putting this back into my work context. Maybe this could be part of the assessed work in years to come.
Questions - will the course be there for ever for us to refer to? What are the archiving arrangements? Can we see our full 2 week microblog feed somewhere easy to read? Would there be another course building on this one?

Anyway, I see it is after 11am, and I had better do some more essay before lunchtime.

Here are a couple of procrastination links:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201109/procrastination-oops-where-did-the-day-go
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/catherine-chen-phd/5-reasons-your-antiprocrastination-efforts-arent-working_b_3729334.html
and a picture from Despair Inc. If you haven't run across these guys before, take a good look. I have bought their cards and posters, and they generally get a laugh out of anyone, even on a dull winter August day!
http://www.despair.com/motivation.html

3 comments:

  1. Hey there, you have certainly reflected really well in this blog and put your honesty on your sleeve. Speaking from someone who has two young boys, run a busy household (did work full time till this semester - now study leave) it still has been super full on workload wise although I haven't minded the quiet between 11-2am when rest are sleeping. Don't underestimate your ability here either, you have made wonderful contributions to the forums and your fab blog, and it is always pleasing for me to read your work. You have a way with words that is really great. Thank you too for the links to procrastination - I had a quick look but compelled to go and read them as I was just texting a friend of mine saying if there was a masters degree in procrastination I would get honours!!!! Happy studies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lyn and Sandra. I have to agree with the procrastination. I think I would get honours as well. It is so hard to stay on track in this online work. So many links, to links, to links that are all relevant and interesting. I need the rest of my life to study and follow all I want to. Loved this reflection and the funny thing was I am just about to write a page for my blog on the same thing. Probably say the same words. Assignment looms but my creativity has pushed it aside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sandra and Darren, good to know we are not alone and often react in similar ways. I'm pushing on with the essay, slow work...

    ReplyDelete